Sunday, October 29, 2006

Fall Back!

Last night I had an extra hour of sleep when the whole North American continent changed its clocks back by an hour at 2 AM. And I really needed that sleep. The previous night out at lab was good but tiring. Watched a couple of movies, did some report and slept for about 2 hours. And the next morning at 6 AM I was off to house only to return back after 4 hours to finish the report. The bread I had in the break fast was spoilt I guess which made me a little sick by the end of the day. So much for grad life.

From today I move from Eastern Daylight-savings Time (EDT) to Eastern Standard Time (EST) or winter time. This system of day light savings was introduced to save electricity. In summers, higher latitudes like Canada and US have sun sets as late at 9 PM. So to make use of this sunlight and reduce dependance on electricity, they switch forward by one hour in Spring. This gives more evening hours and lesser dark working hours. Of course this system doesn't make sense for equitable tropics like India where the difference in Day time between summer and winter is very much. Still India used daylight savings during Indo-Pak and Indo-China wars in '62, '64 and '71. Not to save electricity, but to make people switch of their lights and go to bed early so that hostile war planes do not spot cities.

Today I embraced grad life in its crudest form- went to Gurudwara and packed a whole basket of chapatis(my staple diet now- free food). Made a whole big vessel of sambar to last for the entire week. As the climate gets colder, going home itself is a big pain, leave alone cooking after that. And today I could see the signs of what Canadian winters are capable of. When we went for the usual grocery shopping in the morning, storm like winds almost blew me off my feet as I struggled to carry all the stuff. It feels like -8 degrees though its quite close to zero. For the whole week, Ottawa has storm warnings.

More on environment, the incumbent conservative federal government, released the Clean Air (Air Pure, in french) act last week to reduce green house emissions to 2000 levels by 2050. Canada along with US contribute to almost 70% of all CO2. And green house problem is the biggest prick in Canadian politics. Of course, though each successive government promises to meet the requirements of Kyoto protocol, practically they admit its very very tough to do without any drastic implications on economy (Kyoto requires emissions to reduce to 1993 levels). There is a new method developed by scientists in Univ of Calgary where they pump in CO2 deep into the ground. Petroleum companies are quite interested in this because they can use this injection of pressurized gas into the ground to raise the level of crude oil reserves (oru kallile rendu maanga). But this is still in its testing phase as there are many risks involved, even a tiny leak can cause massive earthquakes.

Now to last weeks frosh party organized by Tamizh Student Association. It was conducted in a rented Hall outside the university. I was invited to sing which I did. They also organized all the usual fun games associated with these parties like musical chairs and eating contests. Technically being a fresher, I was forced into these competitions. When I was standing there on the stage playing those games, for the first time I realised the magnitude of my own age. I was just too old for all this. I have spent 4 years in college having fun and I have been through all these stages. Being forced back into the same old situation was kind of awkward. The creepy feeling of being a mature adult got into me! And yes, adult life is boring. My only solace was that most of the people there in that party, though under grads, were much older than me.

Then came the thing I was there for- food! They served puttu and kaththurikka poriyal ordered all the way from Toronto. After dinner we were sitting there chatting when commotion started. Guys, obviously drunk, stormed into the hall and picked up fight with the board members of the organization. Filthy verbal duels (incidental, all in Tamizh... while most of the compering during the party was in English... mother tongue is sure has a specific place in our conversations!) soon gave way to physical fights. The president of the association- a guy named Satish- showed some maturity and put an end to the mess and dispersed the gathering. To be honest, I was terrified to my guts seeing all the this. Prakash obviously sensed it. Holding my hand he asked, "Yenna Aravinth... bayandhuttingla? Indha maari Chennaila nadakkadha?". I just stared back at him not able to believe he even asked me that question after all this.

"Ithu ellam inga romba sagajam", he continued. "Naanga pudhusa vanthappo innum mosama irundhadhu, ippo konjam paravayillai". He dropped me in his car back home and on the way he was recounting the episodes during the previous frosh parties when some times police had to be called to intervene. All these fights had roots in the association politics. He ended by saying, "Tamizhan yenge irundhaalum anga pirachchanai varum! Yena namakkullaye, ottruma illai".

The next day when I narrated this incident to Gurpreet, he was stupefied, "I thought only we Punjabis drink and fight" !!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good punch at the end da..